Tuesday 16 October 2012

'Rust and Tannic' Journal

Here are a couple of images of my latest journal.  It was made with papers and fabrics dyed with 'Rust & Tannic' and Indigo dyes.    


Working with these natural fabrics, old lace and op shop doylies, made me think of my 'Nanna', her beautiful sewing skills, (and even more amazing sewing room) her years during the depression, and how she always managed to make do, be happy with what she had and to just simply 'get on with it'.


I have used papers and fabrics that remind me of her, have been dyed naturally...well sort of (no harsh bright artificial synthetic dyes), look old and rusty and incorporate lace - which she always managed to find a little bit of, to embellish something special.  


I have called the journal 'Tide Marks and Contours' because some of the dye marks reminded me of aged topographical maps, and also because we can't always predict where life is going to take us, and sometimes we just need to go with the ebb and flow of the tide.

No comments :