Thursday 27 December 2012

Major goal achieved

Well......it's a major goal for me.

About a year and a half ago (I think), I decided I'd had enough of being a 'scaredy cat' in the water, and booked in for adult Learn to Swim classes.  It took a lot of courage to even get to that point let me tell you.  I've always loved the beach but in the water, if my feet weren't planted firmly in the sand I'd chuck a complete spacko, and I wouldn't go anywhere near the surf without my husband.  I hung onto him like a suction cap..........great fun for him I'm sure.  

My homework following the first lesson, was to face the shower when washing my hair.....yes that's how bad I was! The next week I had to face the shower and hum a tune.  By week four I was in the deep pool - admittedly I was crabbing it along the side, hanging on for dear life, with a white face and big googley eyes.....thank you Jean for that experience!

Roll on to December 2012.....and I have just achieved a personal goal of swimming one kilometre in freestyle.  It doesn't sound much I know, but 40 laps?????  C'mon....that's HUGE in my world!  (Don't ask me how many times I put my face in the water at home and hummed "I love a sunburnt country.....a land of sweeping plains...." in preparation for this very moment).  Yes I know it's not the National Anthem, just a good old Aussie song with very happy memories.  Ok I admit I was in the school choir.....shut up.


This is our local swimming pool.  

I no longer feel sick at the smell of chlorine, I no longer need to swim against the wall, the staff know me by name and I'm the veritable 'Imelda Marcos' of swimwear.

(And it still blows me away that I can actually do laps....what a legend!)


No comments :