Friday 26 January 2018

A Basic A-line skirt.

Ok, so 2017 is done and dusted.  There is now a brand new sparkling year ahead, full of promise, possibilities and plans. 

This year one of my goals is to work my way through Cal Patch's book 'Design It Yourself Clothes'.  Each garment is self drafted from our own body measurements and each project builds upon the skills learned in the last.  I'll be joining in with an online group of girls for support, problem solving, design ideas and probably lots of fun and frivolity too.

Hopefully by the end of the year I'll be able to alter patterns to suit myself, make garments that fit and maybe even design some things myself?  We'll just have to wait and see what surprises are waiting!


The very first task is to make a basic A-line skirt.

Look at all those rulers......love it!


I was so intent on what I was doing that I forgot to take some interim photos of the process.  All of a sudden I had a finished skirt!


I could well do with some instruction on how to insert an invisible zip without swearing though.  I've since sent away for an invisible zip foot for my machine and am about to hit up youtube for a tutorial on finishing the top of an invisible zip.

Mine are always 'smiling'.

At least I have happy clothes.


The fabric is designed to be worn lengthwise, but I've cut it to go around the body to give the optical illusion of shape.


I really don't know where my bottom has gone these last few years.

5 comments :

Meg said...

That's a lovely skirt, it looks great! I am just learning how to sew zips in. I have two cushion covers that need zips and so I will be doing some YouTubing too!

Nanna Chel said...

Fran, your skirt looks fantastic but that would have been easy for you with your skills I would think. I used to insert zips without thinking twice about it years ago but never did the invisible version.

Fran Ponta said...

Thank you Meg and Chel! Sewing the skirt was ok and drafting the pattern from Cal Patch's directions was great with her instructions.....but I can't put up with the next twelve months of wonky invisible (not) zippers! I almost reverted to using a normal zip, but I'm too stubborn.

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

I love your skirt. I also think the design looks better horizontally.
I've never sewn invisible zippers, and actually didn't even know such a thing existed until I read your post. :)
Now I'm going to google it and see how it's done.

Fran Ponta said...

Thanks Nil. I've found a really clear youtube tutorial now so I'm hoping for more success on the next one. You need a special 'invisible zipper foot' for your machine (part of my problem!)