Sunday 10 February 2013

Guaranteed not to grow.

Two weeks ago I purchased some tomato seedlings from the 'seedling man' at our local Farmers Market.  Well, I didn't purchase them exactly, they were given to me because they were guaranteed not to grow.  
"Really?" I said....."Why?"
"Well" said the seedling man "It's because of the planetary alignment".
"Oh........hmmmm" and I nodded my head. 
(Guaranteed not to grow?  Are you kidding me?  Oh boy, do I love a challenge.  What planetary alignment?)

I insisted on paying for the seedlings, he insisted I take them for free, I insisted I give him at least half price, he said "Ok" and gave me two punnets.......because they won't grow anyway apparently.

So I gave one to my neighbour, and now we're having a tomato competition.

I planted mine with lots of love, and talked to them the whole time.  So far things are going along nicely.


Happy happy happy.  Hum-de-dum-de-dum.  Water water water.  Grow grow grow.


Yikes,  these tomato plants are huge.  They've only been in the ground for two weeks. 

Watch this space. 
(Look out Jack and the Beanstalk).

PS  I'd like to tell you a bit about the 'seedling man'.  He's only little and so so cute.  He walks with such a spring in his step and he's all crinkly and raggedy round the edges.  I'm sure he has inside information about the plant world and he said I have to take him one of the tomato fruits if I get any, because they will be "very special indeed" and he'll need to preserve the seeds. This is going to be fun.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

ahhhhhhhhhh no i think what has happened is he's got your and my seedlings mixed up! Daisy has since ripped it out of the bathtub shaped vegie patch and raced it around the yard! At least she had the decency to wait until yellow and wilted turned to crispy brown. Bless.
Thats one theory, or you just have the magic touch woman!
Anyway - i do love a competition so i'm looking forward to Fran V the seedling man! heehee! Sue :)

Fran Ponta said...

Ha Ha! Don't you just love puppies? I think the tomatoes will probably be huge.....with no fruit!