Friday 11 May 2012

Donna Downey Workshops

I've been away....again!  Have been down in Perth with a friend doing a couple of workshops tutored by Donna Downey.  What an absolute blast!  I'm still on a high and can't believe I finally got to meet her.

Before we even got started we all got a bit of a spiel on the difference between craft and fine art.....her work is classed as fine art apparently.  I have a LOT of difficulty with the constant discussions other people have with this topic and the differentiation between the two.  I doesn't matter to me.  As artists, we have an opportunity to make a statement....just do what you do and make a statement if you want to......or not......for goodness sakes!

The workshops were very hands on and even more full on, and I finally got to learn about and experiment with pan pastels which I've been wanting to do for what seems like forever.

We were each supplied with a journal for experimentation and to document the 40 various techniques Donna led us through.

A blurry shot (what's new) of my partially finished pan pastel canvas.

How embarrassing is the apron?  But I'll probably never wash it again because the guru Donna has touched it.

No comments :